Until 30 September 2014, Council is offering a special one-off fee of $57 for a 240-litre green waste bin. If one bin doesn't quite meet your needs, you can buy a second bin for the same price of $57.
Green waste is taken to a processing plant and converted into compost, mulch or soil additives and enhancers.
For Occupational Health and Safety reasons, green waste will not be collected in owner-provided containers, plastic bags, boxes or in bundles. Council will only collect green waste from Council bins.
Booked green waste collections
Each residential property is entitled to two booked green waste collections each year – in April and October.
Bookings are now closed for the month of April.
For enquiries, please phone Customer Service on 9278 4444.
Booked green waste collection requirements:
- a minimum of 1/2 cubic metre and a maximum of two cubic metres will be picked up in each collection
- branches and prunings must be tied firmly with string or twine and in a size that can be lifted by one person
- bundled green waste will only be collected from the naturestrip and at the kerb of the street frontage (or sideage of a corner property)
- the contractor will not enter private property to pick up any bundled green waste
- these services are available for residential properties only.
Items eligible for collection are:
- prunings and tree branches less than 75mm in diameter and 1.5m in length (securely tied with string or twine in bundles of up to 300mm diameter)
- single tree limbs from 75mm to 200mm in diameter, free of branches and/or leaves and neatly stacked
- tree roots that can be lifted by one person.
Items that cannot be collected include:
- loose, bagged, boxed, binned or bundled leaves, grass, weeds, ivy and soil
- rose bushes or thorny plants
- ivy, bamboo and palm trees or branches
- timber and tree stumps
- branches exceeding 1.5m in length or 75mm in diameter
- material containing wire or nails
- green waste tied with wire, plastic string or ties, stockings or other non-organic materials
- organic wastes from food production or processing.
For further information or registrations:
Green waste bin content
You can put in your green waste bin:
- lawn clippings and weeds
- light prunings
- larger prunings cut to fit in the bin.
You can't put in your green waste bin:
- recyclables and household waste
- ash, stones, soil, hard waste, timber and fencing
- painted, treated or wire contaminated timber, laminex, plywood or chipboard
- plastic bags, or green waste in plastic bags
- cardboard or polystyrene boxes
- plastic or any type of pots.
Green waste that is contaminated by these items, or any non-organic material, cannot be collected.