Below is a selection of some of the historical sites in Boroondara.

 Photo  Description
Corroboree Aboriginal settlement

Aboriginal settlement

The area around Kooyongkoot Creek, later known as Gardiner's Creek, was part of the Wurundjeri-Baluk region that extended along the Yarra River.

The banks along Kooyongkoot Creek were the source of vegetation used for food, tools and first-aid among other creative applications.

Land management skills, and adaptation to their environment meant that people were able to sustain their lifestyle for many thousands of years with minimal impact to the region compared to the impact felt since European settlement.

This photograph is of a Corroboree Tree that was situated in the forecourt of the Camberwell Town Hall in Camberwell Road.

It is included in this trail to signify the connection to the environment and the respectful use that was made of it by the Wurundjeri-Baluk tribe before European settlement.

Black Bridge

Black Bridge

The Waverley Road to Riversdale sections of the Outer Circle Railway were opened on 30 May 1890, with the so-called Black Bridge spanning Gardiner's Creek. The Waverley Road to Ashburton section of the Outer Circle was closed in December 1895.

This photograph, from between the wars, shows the line leading south to the Black Bridge from Ashburton. The bridge was sold for its wood content at the beginning of World War II for 500 pounds, though remains of a timber pylon is to be found on the north bank of Gardiner's Creek.

Creek beside freeway

Creek beside freeway bridge

Upstream of its confluence with Back Creek, Gardiners Creek becomes a stream of great beauty.

It is the habitat of water birds. It is a bustling little creek, flowing between trees presently attired in marvellous spring growth.

"There is a path winding amongst a close wood of oak trees, spreading everywhere a dappled light, effusing a damp scent of leafy mould. It is so still, so quiet, so sacred."

Gardiners creek

Gardiner's Creek in the 1950s

Gardiner's Creek was still a natural creek in the 1950s.

Open tributaries, that have since been barrelled, flowed into the creek. In the stretch of water between Burke Road and Tooronga Road local kids caught tadpoles and blackfish.

Plans of the country

Plan of part of the county

The first survey plans were drawn on a mile square grid, and showed the river and creeks, the sites of the first squatters, the tracks from one to another, and brief descriptions of the countryside.

Later plans showed the boundaries of the Parishes and the Special Surveys, and the successive run holders to the east, the first land sold by the government, the first landowning residents, and the first area names derived from settlers or the early subdivisions of Crown allotments, at the beginnings of the 1850s.

The creek flooded regularly during the 1950s in parts of Ashburton and Glen Iris.

Tooronga Road bridge

Tooronga Road Bridge

During the 1930s, employment was found for Sustenance men in a project to straighten sections of Gardiners Creek.

Truck crossing bridge

Truck crossing bridge, 1950s

During the late 1830s, people crossed Gardiners Creek or the Yarra River to visit the Gardiner's property by boat, often dispatched from the property after being hailed across the river by the visitors.

By 1861 Gardiners Creek had one bridge at Auburn Road and a second at Tooronga Road. Three more bridges at Glenferrie Road, Toorak Road and Burke Road were completed by 1874.

This photograph shows a truck crossing Gardiners Creek on a bridge near Pitt Street, Ashburton in the 1950s.

The team working at this site were unhappy with their working conditions. Four workers, after registering their complaints with the council, were struck off Sustenance, but were later encouraged to reapply.

Villa Alba, 1880s

Villa Alba is an important example of decoration from the final quarter of the 19th century. It is the work of Scottish- trained Paterson Brothers and includes a mixture of painted, stencilled and gilded decoration.

The house and the original grounds of about 1/3 hectare was originally placed in trust for Anna Maria McEvoy by her family on her marriage to William Greenlaw in 1862.

European sources of the designs used have not yet been identified, but their work demonstrates a familiarity with top overseas design books, together with a great facility in combining diverse design elements.

Villa Alba has regular open days on the first Sunday of the month from 1pm to 4pm